Connecting Churches and Community Groups with Arriving Refugee Families
This program is available in West Michigan.
Refugee families entering the United States fare better when they are connected to a local church, business or community group for support and friendship. Bethany provides many vital resources to these families, but as co-sponsors, your group can provide the companionship and mentoring they need to navigate their new culture and language. It takes time for families to become self-sufficient in the United States, and so we ask that your group make a six month commitment to the family.
Co-sponsors can help by providing:
- English tutoring (Bethany provides training and materials)
- Ongoing cultural assistance
- Help preparing apartments with necessities
- Occasional transportation to doctor’s appointments
- Assistance with education as a school liaison
- Budget counseling
- Friendship - the most important aspect of the program